Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Getting Started!

I admit I am a Pinterest fanatic! It's a teacher's dream! I have used a lot of ideas to organize my classroom. As you can see in the picture of my desk and classroom library, there are numerous ideas gleaned from the great boards of Pinterest.

Pinterest idea #1: Beside my smartboard, I have posters mounted on the white board of what students will need to complete task, if they can talk or not, where I want them to work, where to put completed work, and what to do when done. I put a check or an x beside what they can and cannot do prior to beginning an assignment.

Pinterest idea #2: My classroom library is completely organized by genre or author. The picture label used on the basket is also taped to the top left corner of each book. I did this so my kindergarteners could put books back exactly where each goes. My idea...I had several book that were too big for my baskets so I put a green dot sticker on them and they go on the wooden book shelf that is free standing. I call them "The Green Dot" books. 

Pinterest idea #3: The color rainbow on the wall is based on something I saw on Pinterest using color swatches from Home Depot or Lowe's. Home Depot has the disney color swatches which are the mouse ears above the name. Since the Disney colors do not come in all the colors I needed, I made my own for those because everthing just has to match.

Pinterest idea #4: The red flat basked on top of the mounted book shelf has a "red cross" type symbol. It is my book hospital. Students know to place any damaged book in it for repairs.

Pinterest idea #5: I came across several templates for binder covers and spines but couldn't find any that matched my color scheme or style. So, I designed my own. Olivia the Pig is one of my favorite storybook characters. Plus, we share the same first name. My color scheme in my room is red, black, white, and green (green because that's what has been painted around my entrance door and outer wall. I used Olivia images that I googled to go on each binder. It turned out simply adorable!

Pinterest idea #6 (?): Honestly, I can't remember if I saw this on Pinterest or if I came up with it on my own. But, the large pencil on the whiteboard points to a label that says "1st Name" to remind students to put it on their work. The backs of these are magnatized so I can move them around as needed. During the year as students learn to write their last names as well, I put another label up that says "Last Name". The visual reminders help a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment